Okolona Business & Professional Association
October's Breakfast Sponsors:
Sternberg Automotive and Thrifty Truck Sales & Leasing
Thursday, October 30, 2014: 7:30am-9:00am
Hot Breakfast Catered by The Tumbleweed with GanoLife Coffee
Doors Open at 7 AM for Serious Networkers and Coffee!
Okolona Firehouse #1 – Community Room Upstairs – 8501 Preston Highway (40219)
The Power Of Laughter in the Workplace
Our Invited Speaker: Comedian Freddie Thrasher
A merry heart is indeed good medicine. Laughter is an amazing way to bring people together and establish connections. Who doesn't like a great belly-laugh? Keeping a good sense of humor and using the gift of laughter can certainly take an uncomfortable chill out of the air at work and warm up the atmosphere. Statistics have shown that laughter is beneficial to better mental and emotional health as well as your immune system impacting your physical health.
Freddie Thrasher has always loved to make people smile through his gift of telling jokes and sharing humorous stories. If you are from Louisville, you may remember seeing him perform at The Comedy Caravan. Freddie has been the opening act for such headliners as Mr. Dy-No-Mite, J.J. “Jimmie” Walker, as well as many others while traveling the nation.
Freddie continues to share his gift of laughter at work with his customers and colleagues at Sternberg Automotive where he is the finance manager as well as part of the sales staff. Here's a corny joke, not written by Freddie, although one that is easy to remember.....
Yoo-hoo!! See you on the 30th!
Please join us for an extra big dose of laughter at our October breakfast and make sure to bring someone along with you.....for as the saying goes, and it's true, the more the merrier!
SOME AWESOME BENEFITS FROM LAUGHING!
- Laughing lowers blood pressure. People who lower their blood pressure, even those who start at normal levels, will reduce their risk of strokes and heart attacks. A great reason to read the funny pages in your newspaper, and not just on Sundays!
- Reduce stress hormone levels through laughing which helps cut anxiety and the stress impacting your body. The reduction of stress hormones in your body may result in higher immune-system performance. So laughing along when a co-worker tells a funny joke can relieve some of your daily stress while reaping the health benefits of laughter.
- A fun abdominal workout of laughter greatly benefits toning your abs. When you are laughing, the muscles in your stomach expand and contract, similar to when you exercise your abs intentionally. Meanwhile, the muscles you are not using to laugh are getting an opportunity to relax. Add laughter to your ab routine and make getting a toned tummy more enjoyable.
- Laughter is a great cardio workout, especially for those who are incapable of doing other physical activity due to injury or illness. It gets your heart pumping and burns a similar amount of calories per hour as walking at a slow to moderate pace. So, laugh your heart into health.
- Boosts T cells when you laugh. T cells are specialized immune-system cells just waiting in your body for activation. When you laugh, you activate T cells that immediately begin to help you fight off sickness. Next time you feel a cold coming on, add chuckling to your illness prevention plan.
- Trigger the release of endorphins by laughing. Endorphins are your body's natural pain killers which can help ease chronic pain and make you feel good all over!
- Laughter has been shown to increase your overall sense of well-being. Doctors have found that people who have a positive outlook on life tend to fight disease better than people who tend to be more negative. So smile, laugh, and live longer!!